Pages

335 113-7 shunting at Muhldorf Depot

Tuesday 30 December 2008

UMWB (Under my Widnes Board...)

Having a bit more spare time to indulge in railway modelling over the Christmas break has given me the opportunity to get round to one of those tasks that is often dreaded by in the long run very worthwhile; a rationalisation and comprehensive rewiring of the original layout boards from Widnes Road.

After a few years on the exhibition circuit, and with various ad-hoc additions and alterations the wiring had started to get slightly temperamental; culminating in an annoying (albeit brief) point failure at a show recently.

As can be seen in the photo below, I thought this through and didn't fancy a couple of days under the layout dripping hot solder on myself. Hence I knocked together a stand from a couple of old shelf brackets which holds the layout at a convenient angle for accessing the underside.

I also made a few wiring alterations; including making all sidings live at all times, to enable stabled DCC locos to show lights / make engine sounds etc. something I had been meaning to do almost from the first outing. I'm pleased with the outcome, but I'm now being driven by perfectionism to rewire the second board, which I only built last spring; that way madness lies...

No comments:

Post a Comment