Pages

335 113-7 shunting at Muhldorf Depot

Thursday 18 December 2008

New Z-gauge arrival


The postman brought a delivery of z-gauge turnouts this morning. While I've been keen to build a layout in z-gauge for a few years (I'm really fond of the latest Marklin mini-club stock) the appalling visual appearance of z-gauge track has always put me off.

Whilst intrigued by the components available from 'Fast Tracks' http://handlaidtrack.com/
hand building z-gauge turnouts as a first step into Z did seem to tempt fate a little. When idly flicking through the inter-web I came across references to Peter Wright; http://www.wrightturnouts.com/

A quick e-mail later, and four turnouts were ordered. Quite surprisingly these only took about week to arrive, and I have to confess I'm really rather impressed, and the price is also pretty decent as well; around £80 for four, delivered.

So; this Christmas will see me planning a small German / Swiss layout in one of the last spare spaces in the railway room; the 5 foot by 18 inch shelf above my modelling desk, which was going to have a small HO fuelling point / depot layout built on it. Hey ho, I'll just have to find somewhere else to build that.

Meanwhile I've been making some changes to Singen Hbf, my German N-gauge exhibition layout; adding a branch fiddle yard feeding platform 7; this can be seen as the two tracks nearest to the control panel, which disappear through the small hole in the backscene.

I've also taken the opportunity to change the track layout in the main fiddle yard to give an extra full length siding, hence the missing turnout in the foreground. Plenty to be getting along with over Christmas then.

No comments:

Post a Comment