Pages

335 113-7 shunting at Muhldorf Depot

Sunday 25 January 2009

On the subject of wheely-bins...

...or a cautionary tale about paying more attention when cannibalizing one layout to speed up progress on another.

I've been spending an enjoyable weekend exhibiting Widnes Road at a two-day show in Dartford, Kent. There were the usual mix of interested punters stopping for a chat, but there was one yesterday a bit out the norm. She was stood examining the layout for a fair while, and we got in conversation about the various cats; all eight of which are painted to match the four we have in real life and the four which our neighbours have had at various times.

This was all very nice and she was just leaving when the parting comments was along the lines of; "I like the cats but they didn't have wheeley-bins in the 1980's". Now I don't take my modelling so seriously that this causes anything other than surprise that someone is looking that closely, but what was odd was that to be honest I don't even remember putting them on the layout!

Then I remembered cannibalizing a small part of West Wirral (which was set in the late 1990's) to fill in a gap on Widnes Road when I was in a rush; and that small tableau of a depot office had a wheely bin outside the office door.

Suffice to say; the offending bins are coming off today to be replaced by proper 1980's dented dust-bins. Thanks for the heads-up; also a friendly hello to Peter Clark of http://www.peterclarkkits.com/ a guy whose work I admire and whose kits are first rate; for spotting that when I had taken the bogie sideframes off my Heljan 47 to clean the wheels; I'd put them on the wrong way round, well spotted. I hope to build one of your 7mm MPV's for my garden layout later this year.

Right; off to the modelling room to paint some dustbins...

No comments:

Post a Comment